Monday, August 13, 2012

Meet Madison

Madison Elaine
May 21, 2012
9 pounds 13 ounces 20.5 inches

The last few months have been memorable to say the least! We are so thankful for God's blessings on our little family. God is good!

Let's start at the very beginning...May 21st (from what I can remember).

8:00 a.m. Labor induction and feeling fine

1:00 p.m. Total realization the epidural was NOT working and not feeling fine!

2:00 p.m. Ready to get the show on the road...FAST!

4:00 p.m. Dr. announces that the baby seems to be transverse and bigger than expected and we are going for a c-section.

4:24 p.m. Madison Elaine Maduzia is born weighing a whopping 9 pounds, 13 ounces, and 20.5 inches long!!!   Much to mine and the doctor's surprise our little Madison was not so little. I gave it all I had in labor but she was not going anywhere. With the inducement drugs flowing and the epidural simply numbing my rear end and legs I was one in pain and nauseous mama through the whole labor, then the c-section, and all through the night! I can recall bits and pieces of Madison's birth but it's all a little fuzzy. With our first daughter I went into labor, they still had to hook me up with inducement drugs to get things moving, I had the epidural which worked like a charm, 14 hours later I was holding our sweet girl and life was good. Madison was a scheduled inducement, had the epidural, still feeling the pain, pressed the button for more juice, still feeling the pain, pressed it again (a little harder this time for good measure), still feeling it, nausea takes overs, totally feeling the pain, start to push for about 2 hours, baby was not making her way out...next thing I remember was being wheeled down the hall in a rush to the OR, hubby getting all suited up as I was being wheeled by him, nausea, nausea, and more nausea, hearing the doctor and staff saying "whoa that's a big baby!"...flash forward to us back in the room with two ladies holding Madison to my chest trying to get her to nurse as I am passing out, and of course more nausea! The whole first night is a giant blur but by the morning I was starting to come around and enjoy properly meeting our sweet Madison!





Recovery was not easy! I had no idea how it would be to have major surgery like that as I have never had any surgery or stitches in my 33 years. I was not able to move my legs at all for nearly 4 hours after the c-section. I remember telling myself to just move but I could not get my brain and my legs to communicate...that was so frustrating. The nurses put what looked like giant blood pressure cuffs on my legs that alternated compressions on my legs through the night. My skin was itching like mad due to the medication in surgery and as mentioned before I was extremely nauseous. The next morning it was time for me to try and eat something. Unlike the birth of our first daughter in which I inhaled a giant piece of pizza after going 14 hours without food, I could not keep ice chips down not to mention a meal after everything that happened. A tray of broth, jello, and juice was delivered and with exception of a bite of the jello the tray left intact. By this time I had full use of my legs or so I thought and was allowed to venture to the bathroom which took probably 30 minutes just to hobble over to the door. Just to scoot up in the bed or turn to reach something on the table was unlike any pain I have ever felt before...Hubby was very supportive and caring throughout the whole hospital stay. I think the hardest part was after we got home and I could not care for Madison how I wanted to. I could not sit up in bed without hubby pulling me up. Every move was accompanied by pain and tears for a good long while. I could not bend over to pick up anything and could only lift the baby for 6 weeks. My best advice for anyone going through c-section recovery is to just keep moving. It hurts so very much but it's worth it to improve mobility quickly. I would say it took a solid 8 weeks for me to feel comfortable and now I am able to exercise, and enjoy normal activities.
As for the sweet part of the story, Madison is a joy and we are so happy to have her here safe and sound. Elise is a great big sister and loves her Maddie very much!





4 comments:

  1. Sweet post, April! And, as Paul Harvey would say, "Now you know the rest of the story."

    Love you,
    Auntie Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. good post that sums up Madsion's birth in a nut shell. so sorry it was not an easy time. God is good for sure.
    Love
    Mamma Mooms

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job on remembering the birth story. Love the last photo of Madison, she looks like she could punch the cammera with her little fist, but it would be a sweet punch. Adorable little sisters you have to raise. Enjoy the smallest of joys and biggest blessing as your sweet girls grow into God plan for their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to see you and your husband now have two beautiful little girls! Exciting to see your family grow. So many changes have happened since those carpooling days back and forth to UH but I.m glad to see you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for leaving a comment!